LiveWisely 2020 Movement is committed to maintaining and promoting excellence in coaching. Therefore, LiveWisely 2020 Movement expects all members and coaches (coaches, coach mentors and coaching clients), to adhere to the elements and principles of ethical conduct: to be competent and integrate LiveWisely 2020 Movement Core Competencies effectively in their work.
In line with the LiveWisely 2020 Movement core values and LiveWisely 2020 Movement definition of coaching/mentoring, the Code of Ethics is designed to provide appropriate guidelines, accountability and enforceable standards of conduct for all LiveWisely 2020 Movement members and LiveWisely 2020 Movement coaches, who commit to abiding by the following LiveWisely 2020 Movement Code of Ethics:
Part 1: Definition
Coaching: Coaching is partnering with clients in a thought-provoking and creative process that inspires them to maximize their personal and professional potential.
Mentor: A mentor agrees to practice the LiveWisely 2020 Movement Core Competencies and pledges accountability to the LiveWisely 2020 Movement Code of Ethics.
Coaching relationship: A coaching relationship exists when coaching includes an agreement that defines the responsibilities of each party.
Roles in the mentoring relationship: In order to clarify roles in the mentoring relationship it is often necessary to distinguish between the mentor and mentee.
Mentee: The mentee is the person(s) being mentored.
Mentor: The mentor is the person arranging for mentoring services to be provided. In all cases, mentoring engagement agreements should clearly establish the rights, roles and responsibilities for both the mentor and mentee.
Conflict of Interest: A situation in which a memtor has a private or personal interest sufficient to appear to influence the objective of his or her official duties as a mentor.
Part 2: Standards of Ethical Conduct
Conduct at large
As a coach, I:
- Conduct myself in accordance with the LiveWisely 2020 Movement Code of Ethics in all interactions, including coaching and mentoring and activities.
- Communicate and create awareness in others, including organizations, employees, sponsors, coaches and others, who might need to be informed of the responsibilities established by this Code.
- Refrain from unlawful discrimination in occupational activities, including age, race, gender orientation, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin or disability.
- Make verbal and written statements that are true and accurate about what I offer as a coach, the coaching profession or LiveWisely 2020 Movement.
- Accurately identify my coachingqualification, expertise, experience and training.
- Recognize and honor the efforts and contributions of others and only claim ownership of my own material. I understand that violating this standard may leave me subject to legal remedy by a third party.
- Strive at all times to recognize my personal issues that may impair, conflict with or interfere with my coaching performance or my professional coaching relationships. I will promptly seek the relevant professional assistance and determine the action to be taken, including whether it is appropriate to suspend or terminate my coaching relationship(s) whenever the facts and circumstances necessitate.
- Recognize that the Code of Ethics applies to my relationship with coaching clients and mentees.
- Maintain, store and dispose of any records, including electronic files and communications, created during my coaching engagements in a manner that promotes confidentiality, security and privacy and complies with any applicable laws and agreements.
- Use LiveWisely 2020 Movement member contact information (email addresses, telephone numbers, and so on) only in the manner and to the extent authorized by the LiveWisely 2020 Movement.
Conflict of Interests
As a coach, I:
- Seek to be conscious of any conflict or potential conflict of interest, openly disclose any such conflict and offer to remove myself when a conflict arises.
- Clarify roles for internal coaches, set boundaries and review with stakeholders conflicts of interest that may emerge between coaching and other role functions.
- Disclose to my client and the sponsor(s) all anticipated compensation from third parties that I may receive for referrals of clients or pay to receive clients.
- Honor an equitable coach/client relationship, regardless of the form of compensation.
Conduct with clients
As a coach, I:
- Ethically speak what I know to be true to clients, prospective clients or sponsors about the potential value of the coaching process or of me as a coach.
- Carefully explain and strive to ensure that, prior to or at the initial meeting, my coaching client and sponsor(s) understand the nature of coaching, the nature and limits of confidentiality, financial arrangements, and any other terms of the coaching agreement.
- Have a clear coaching service agreement with my clients and sponsor(s) before beginning the coaching relationship and honor this agreement. The agreement shall include the roles, responsibilities and rights of all parties involved.
- Hold responsibility for being aware of and setting clear, appropriate and culturally sensitive boundaries that govern interactions, physical or otherwise, I may have with my clients or sponsor(s).
- Avoid any sexual or romantic relationship with current clients or sponsor(s) or students, mentees or supervisees. Further, I will be alert to the possibility of any potential sexual intimacy among the parties including my support staff and/or assistants and will take the appropriate action to address the issue or cancel the engagement in order to provide a safe environment overall.
- Respect the client’s right to terminate the coaching relationship at any point during the process, subject to the provisions of the agreement. I shall remain alert to indications that there is a shift in the value received from the coaching relationship.
- Encourage the client or sponsor to make a change if I believe the client or sponsor would be better served by another coach or by another resource and suggest my client seek the services of other professionals when deemed necessary or appropriate.
Confidentiality & Privacy
As a coach, I:
- Maintain the strictest levels of confidentiality with all client and sponsor information unless release is required by law.
- Have a clear agreement about how coaching information will be exchanged among coach, client and sponsor.
- Have a clear agreement when acting as a coach or mentor with both client and sponsor about the conditions under which confidentiality may not be maintained (e.g., illegal activity, pursuant to valid court order or subpoena; imminent or likely risk of danger to self or to others; etc) and make sure both client and sponsor voluntarily and knowingly agree in writing to that limit of confidentiality. Where I reasonably believe that because one of the above circumstances is applicable, I may need to inform appropriate authorities.
- Require all those who work with me in support of my clients to adhere to all the LiveWisely 2020 Movement Code of Ethics, Confidentiality and Privacy Standards, and any other sections of the Code of Ethics that might be applicable.
Part 3: Pledge of Ethics
As a Coach/Mentor, I acknowledge and agree to honor my ethical obligations to my coachng/mentoring relationship. I pledge to comply with the LiveWisely 2020 Movement Code of Ethics and to practice these standards with those whom I coach, teach or mentor.
If I breach this Pledge of Ethics or any part of the LiveWisely 2020 Movement Code of Ethics, I agree that the LiveWisely 2020 Movement in its sole discretion may hold me accountable for so doing. I further agree that my accountability to the LiveWisely 2020 Movement for any breach may include sanctions, such as loss of my LiveWisely 2020 Movement priviledges.